Our first engagement started with face-to-face worker engagement and delivered the following impacts:
- Revision of health and safety measures in cold stores
- Recognition by management that worker longevity was affected by length of employment off-shore and in cold stores
- Acknowledgement by management that local cleaning contractor was negatively impacting healthy working conditions, and needed contract terms to be reviewed
- High response rates and strong motivation from workers to remain anonymous while monitoring working conditions.
- Revising the systems in place for maintenance and hence, resolving equipment outages which were costing the business through reduced productivity
We remain involved in supporting the work of certification bodies to develop robust indicators and mobile-friendly questions, produce clear assessments, and better support good working conditions in fishing . This work has also focused on meeting the needs of small supply sites where we have developed a model to protect worker anonymity even in workforces smaller than 50.