Our first engagement started with face-to-face worker engagement and delivered the following impacts:
- Revision of health and safety measures in cold stores
- Recognition by management that worker longevity was affected by length of employment off-shore and in cold stores
- Acknowledgement by management that a local cleaning contractor was damaging worker health, and needed contract terms to be reviewed
- High response rates and strong motivation from workers to remain anonymous while reporting on working conditions.
- Revision of system for logging maintenance issues, so that equipment outages were resolved more rapidly.
We remain involved in supporting the work of certification bodies to develop robust indicators and mobile-friendly questions, produce clear assessments, and better support good working conditions in fishing. This work has also focused on meeting the needs of small supply sites where we have developed a model to protect worker anonymity even in workforces smaller than 50.